Monday, October 17, 2016

U-G-L-Y your baby ain't got no alibi!

Howdy gang,
                Long time no blog eh? I will spare you the gory details, but suffice it to say I have been swamped lately. My wife and I have both been super busy at work, plus weddings, plus everything else that keeps popping up. I can’t believe it has been over 2 weeks since my last post though! So much has changed in that short amount of time. At my last post, Elizabeth had been doing some sitting by herself. She usually lost her balance and bounced her melon on the ground. But now…she is a sitting champ. She sits for 30+ minutes by herself and she loves playing with toys. She now fusses if we don’t sit her up and immediately give her toys to play with. She has all of the pieces of crawling down, but she seems to refuse to. She loves her crinkle elephant, her Sophie, her Brewers giraffe, and her stacking rings. She will roll over to them and pull them out of the toy box now. She has grown so much in such a short amount of time!
                She is still constantly jibber jabbering and has recently been really good at responding to her name. Up until the last 2 or 3 weeks it had been kind of hit or miss, but now she responds to it very well. She still gets very distracted when I am watching Supernatural, but she is just a really happy-go-lucky smiley baby. We have had a few issues lately with our nighttime routine. She had been sooooo good about putting herself to sleep and had been staying asleep for quite a while. She would usually go to bed around 7 pm and only wake up around 2am to eat and then go back to sleep. Now it has turned in to a crapshoot. She could be sleeping anywhere between 630-830pm and she might not wake up until 6am or she will wake up every 2 hours. I have my sneaking suspicions that she has another tooth coming in and that’s why she has been so hit or miss lately. God, I hope not though. She does a complete and total personality 180 when she is cutting new teeth.
                On a totally unrelated note, I may be really biased here, but I think Elizabeth is one of the cutest babies that I have ever seen. I have pretty much always been of the opinion that 95% of babies look like a cross between an old man and an alien. I still have that opinion by the way. Now of course, there is the other 5% of babies, your Gerber babies, your Ryan Reynolds’ babies, etc… which are undeniably adorable, but again, for the most part…they are all kind of ugly. I was immediately attached to my little Ewok from the moment I saw her, but as a newborn she still wasn’t all that cute. She was bald, covered in blood, some poop (not 100% sure where that came from), and had a scrunched up face. As she got older, her dimples came in, she became more facially expressive, and we started to notice that depending on the look she was throwing out she looked like either her mother or myself.
                Again, I am sure I am biased here, but I have had so many people that share my “most babies aren’t cute” opinion tell me how pretty she is. It has made me think that maybe it isn’t just my own bias and mix of hormones that are making believe she is so pretty. Now, I feel the need to back pedal just a little bit here. If you are a parent of a child that I called “cute” then I am sure you are now thinking to yourself, “That son of a bitch was lying to me when he called my son/daughter cute!”. That is not the case. Well…not exactly. I have many friends and family that did have legitimately cute babies. The others, it was a lie of omission. To be more accurate, I guess I should have said, “They are cute for an average baby”, but man does that sound dickish even for me. So please, put down your pitchforks and Molotov cocktails.
                On yet another unrelated note, I recently applied for a different position at the Crimson Plus Sign. It would allow me to be home with my wife and Elizabeth much more than my current job allows. Long story short, I don’t think I will be offered this position, but I had to jump at the opportunity. As much as I love my job, stress and all, I just don’t see myself being on the road forever. I can’t handle missing watching Elizabeth grow up. I will do what I have to do in order to put bread on the table, clothes on our backs, and a roof over our heads, but at a certain point you have to draw a line and get your priorities straight. If my family doesn’t come first, then why am I working at all? Update to come on that in a week or two I guess.

                As usual, I thank you all for reading. Check out Fatterhood on Facebook and I should have time this week to get at least one more post up, so check back soon! Prost!

No comments:

Post a Comment