Friday, November 4, 2016

The Power of Ewok Compels You!

Howdy gang,
                Man how the time flies yet again. I shan’t lie, I am almost a full pint of Bully Boy vodka down (more on why in a little while) and I am ready to do some fat-dadding!
 It has been a rather eventful week since my last post. Last Saturday we went to a Halloween party that our friends were hosting. We ended up almost having a pretty good 1st time parenting fail when we realized that we never asked if it was ok if we brought Elizabeth with us. The thought had never even crossed our minds until someone asked who we found to babysit. The very thought that a group of twenty-thirty something-year-olds wouldn’t enjoy the presence of our darling child never occurred to us. We lucked out as everyone seemed really excited when I asked via the Facebook group if she could attend. Halloween is easily my favorite holiday; candy, horror movies, dressing up, etc. My wife on the other hand is apparently indifferent towards it, so we ended up with what I still consider a ludicrous family costume budget. To fit in her damn guidelines (seriously, $300 is “too expensive” for a Ghostbusters themed family costume? WTF?!) we opted to be Popeye, Olive Oil, and Sweet Pea for a grand total of about $20. We looked cute and we had a blast at the part. I will post a picture of the 3 of us on the Fatterhood Facebook page soon by the way. Elizabeth was well behaved, but stayed out way past her bed time so she ended up being kind of a crank for most of the weekend.
                I was deadest on taking Elizabeth trick-or-treating on Halloween. I went so far as to take off work just so I could guarantee that I would actually be home to do so. I found myself in kind of an awkward spot though. You see, you can’t really go door to door with a small child asking for candy when you look like me. Even on a good day I have a tendency to look semi-homeless, but currently with my shaved head I knew it would look like I had kidnapped Elizabeth. I was severely self-conscious about the whole thing. I put out a Facebook message looking to tagalong with any of my friends or family that have kids to bring down my creeper factor and my cousin offered to let me join in. She and her husband recently joined the parenting cabal as well and they wanted to take out their little one too. She was freakin’ adorable by the way, she was born a wee bit early so she is still very tiny, but dressed up like Stitch from Lilo and Stitch she was just too cute to handle. We made the circle around my Aunt’s house which is kind of a swanky neighborhood, the kind that hands out full sized candy bars. Elizabeth ended up falling asleep on my shoulder about 3 houses down from my Aunt’s house. Not sure if going with my cousin helped the perception at all, but it did make me feel better.
                After trick-or-treating Elizabeth and I (my wife had to work by the way) stopped by my wife’s parents’ house. Grandma was still at work, but Papa wanted to see his little granddaughter. He took it upon himself to introduce Elizabeth to her first piece of candy since it was Halloween and all kids “need” candy. I figured my wife would go ape shit, so we kind of compromised and he found some sugar free suckers to let her gum on. She loved it…of course. There is a great picture of it up on the Fatterhood Facebook page. We made our way home and my little Ewok was totally tuckered out.
                The Wednesday night after Halloween Elizabeth just wasn’t herself. She seemed tired and cranky. Daycare had said that she seemed “off” as well, but that she had been over-all pretty good all day. We were sitting around having our family time and I was packing my overnight bag since I was supposed to be out for work Thursday night when all of a sudden she had a pretty intense coughing attack and started puking. And I mean REALLY puking. This was beyond spit up. I said that she looked like she was auditioning for The Exorcist and told my wife to hide any crucifixes that were in the house. She did that a few more times yet Wednesday evening. After looking at our calendars, we decided that I should call in since my wife had a very important review due at work and since she had called in the last time Ewok was sick it was kind of my turn. I stayed up all night with her since she seemed to cough less when one of us was holding her for some reason. We kept her out of daycare of course, and the two of us just kind of chilled on my recliner most of the day. She seemed to be feeling quite a bit better by Thursday afternoon, but was still coughing and was still throwing up occasionally. We called the Doctor and he said that there really wasn’t much to worry about unless she had a fever (which she didn’t) or unless she was showing signs of dehydration. By the time my wife arrived home Thursday it seemed like we were out of the woods, but then the puke started up again.
                I had called in for Friday as well, so I pulled another all nighter and stayed up with Ewok again. To be totally fair to my wife, I am a night owl by nature and I could have tried to sleep but I am a notoriously hard sleeper and I was terrified that I wouldn’t hear her cough and that she would aspirate her vomit in the night. My wife woke up Friday morning and found that she too was super sick. I won’t go in to details as she wouldn’t be very happy if I did, but let’s just say that I found myself on Ewok duty and Mama duty for all of Friday. Which brings me to the pint of vodka. My wife still feels like shit and went to bed at around 830. Elizabeth seems to be doing MUCH better since this afternoon, she has been playing and laughing most of the day and the cough has become less intense. I moved her pack-n’-play out to the living room so that I can watch her and let my wife get some much needed rest. This has left me though with a combined total of about 8-12 hours of sleep out of the last 60 and I have burned through my Netflix queue. I made the decision to start mixing vodka with Kickstarts (no lecture needed, again, we have already established that I don’t make great health decisions) and having a movie marathon. I made my way through the Saw movies and am currently plugging through the Underworld movies. Ewok is sound asleep right next to me and oddly enough…I don’t think there is any other place I would rather be.

                We were supposed to go to a wedding in Madison on Saturday, but seeing as how I am the only “healthy” one in this house and I haven’t really slept since Wednesday I don’t think we will be making it. I will see what happens tomorrow, but my hope is that my wife will be feeling better so that I can catch up on some sleep and then write another post tomorrow. If not, then I will perhaps be in some sort of coma-like hibernation for the weekend. Either way…I thank you for reading. As always, check back soon and don’t forget to like Fatterhood on Facebook.  I really don’t know how to thank you all for sticking with me so far. 6000 views in 20 countries and still growing. I know there are more popular blogs out there, but I would never have dreamed in a million years that mine would be even mildly successful. I really do thank you! Prost!

No comments:

Post a Comment