Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Father of Mine Or : How I Learned To Give Up Anger And Love My Kids Better


Howdy gang,

                I’ve been trying to make up for lost time, in more ways than one. I’ve gotten so far behind on my posts and it seems like I am playing catch-up in so many aspects of my life right now. I’ll quit playing coy here and I think it is just best for me to hop in…so here I go. (Quick disclaimer/warning: This post isn’t my typical sad-clown type of post. This one is a little more sentimental, but I promise that I will sprinkle in some nuggets of humor.)
                If you’ve been following Fatterhood, you will most likely recall that my dad left when I was very young. From what anyone can remember, we last saw each other when I was either 2 or 3 years old (I turned 30 earlier this month). To say that I have some very complex emotions regarding the whole situation is like saying that String Theory is “pretty complicated”. It just doesn’t do it justice. I’ve ran the full rollercoaster of emotions over the years. Ranging from apathy to sadness to anger and everything in between. Lately though, I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about my past, my present, my future and how those play in to my emotions regarding each one. I found that I was holding on to one hell of a grudge for no particular reason. I mean, the situation was shitty growing up. No argument. But what bearing did that have on me now? Very little since I turned out fine regardless.
                After celebrating a wonderful Father’s Day with my family, I found myself on Facebook and I saw that my Dad (we added each other about 7 years ago, but rarely communicated) was, frankly, baiting me into speaking with him. He posted something to the effect of “Father’s Day isn’t a happy day for everyone. I wish my son could realize that being divorced doesn’t make me a bad dad.” Now…normally I would have either completely ignored him or lashed out with some sort of angry rant with a fervor that I usually reserve for drunken political discussions. This time though, I took a step back. I realized that this is a man that is essentially a stranger and he is literally begging for interaction from his son. I decided to put my own hurt feelings and irrational anger aside for once and reach out.
                I sent him a message via Facebook. I was pretty scared to reach out. We had traded a few messages back and forth via Facebook over the last 7 years, but I never initiated them and my replies were usually pretty short and cold. I decided to just put it out there. I’ll spare you the mushy details, but essentially I just told him that I had been very angry for as long as I could remember, but that I didn’t think that anger was doing me any good. I told him that I wanted to know his side of the story and I wanted to know what the hell he had been up to for the last 30 freaking years. I told him that I was happy that he seemed to have gotten his life together and that I wanted to take some responsibility for my own actions. For instance, he would write letters from time to time, but I never replied. I told him that I saw a narrow path for us to build a relationship and if he was willing to be patient and “play by my rules” that I really want to pursue it. I hit “send” and I just waited nervously.
                I got a reply that I was afraid to open. I let it sit for the evening and decided to read it the next morning. I think I managed to shock him with my honesty and just by taking the initiative to reach out. He sent back a very nice reply though. He seemed to be genuinely understanding about how awkward this whole thing was for me. He was just happy to hear from me and asked a few questions about me growing up and ended it with a “I love you”. In my reply, I realized that I was going to have to break his heart. I just wasn’t ready to say “I love you” back to a person that is essentially a stranger. I had to tell him that I just couldn’t bring myself to do it yet. I did want to give him some hope though so I told him that the way I figure it…I wouldn’t be as angry as I was if I didn’t care. If I obviously care, who’s to say that it can’t become love. Basically, I told him I wasn’t ruling it out, but that I just wasn’t ready.
                I  also replied back with answers to his questions, but I had questions of my own. I wanted to know his side of events. I never got the impression that my Ma ever lied to me, in fact most of the really bad stuff I didn’t find out until after she died and I found her old journals, but it was only one perspective. I wanted his take on how things went tits up. I also asked him why he never wrote more. His response made sense, but it kind of broke my heart. He said that he would write those letters and never get anything in return, so eventually he just assumed either I wasn’t getting them or I didn’t want to write him back. We found ourselves in a vicious cycle. I wanted more letters, but didn’t want to write him back and he didn’t write more letters because he never got the replies he wanted. He didn’t want to make excuses or put blame on me, but he told me that once he figured I didn’t love him anymore that it drove him in to a deep depression that lead to drugs, alcohol and violence which then just lead to more jail time which lead to him being out of my life even more.
                He genuinely didn’t mean to, but he kind of exploded my entire understanding of the events that took place! I mean, essentially I had grown up my entire life thinking that he abandoned my mother and I and that he chose drugs over his own son. As it turns out, if I had even once picked up a pencil and paper…then my life and his life could have been so different. It was a strange realization to find that I had let an irrational grudge destroy (at least partially destroy in my case) two lives. I hit me hard. Harder than the stank from one of Elizabeth’s poop diapers. Knocked me on my proverbial ass just like it though.
                We’ve traded back messages now a few times a day since Sunday. It has been a little awkward, but it has been nice. It is hard to pack in 30 years of happenings, thoughts, feelings, and stories in a Facebook message, but we are slowly plugging away. I think if we continue at our current pace, I may get the courage to call him on the phone or even one day meet up with him in person and have coffee or something. Not sure how things will end up, but I’m enjoying the painfully awkward process al the same. I’m still really kicking myself for not doing this sooner though.
                I’ve spent the majority of my life pissed off. I’ve held on to this grudge for so long that I couldn’t even properly express why the hell I was feeling the way I was or how I actually felt about it. Once I realized that this anger was weighing me down (My fat ass doesn’t need any more weight. Physical or emotional poundage just isn’t need currently.) and was starting to manifest itself in weird ways, I knew that I needed to either do something about it or let it go completely. I found that I couldn’t let it go. There was too much there that needed some form of closure, so my only option was to face it head on and do something about it. I feel so much better though! There have been some hard truths to come out of this and I’m not sure that the tangled web of feelings and emotions has gotten any easier for me to follow, but I just feel like a great weight has been lifted off of me. We still have work to do of course, but it feels great to give up that anger and become a happier and more present father. I hope we keep it up.
                In short, I don’t think you can really ever be a great parent if you are carrying around that much emotional baggage. It haunts every freaking decision that you make. I was constantly thinking, “What the fuck do you know about being a dad? Are you sure you’re up to this?” That kind of shit. I’ve gained a certain amount of emotional intelligence out of this and found a type of clarity. It has only been 3 days, but I already feel like I am more “in the moment”. I think it will just get better from here. My end goal is that maybe my children will be able to have a relationship with their grandfather. I don’t think it was fair that my grudge was stopping them from having family either. I guess time will tell though.
                I would like to thank my wonderful wife for being so supportive during this process. She has been with me for almost half of my life and this has been a part of her life for that whole time as well. As usual, I thank you for reading. I have some more posts in draft phase and I will return to my normally humorous sad-clown type of posts in the future. So check back soon. And check out Fatterhood on Facebook! Prost!

No comments:

Post a Comment